Thursday, June 28, 2007

To Serve and Protect?

I watched this video a few minutes ago, and I was appalled.



Then I was even more disgusted when I discovered that it happened in Hot Springs, Arkansas; not thirty minutes from my home. The full article can be found here.

First of all, let me start by saying that I do not dislike police as a rule. I think that there are some dedicated officers out there who joined the force with the intention of providing a valuable community service. I also realize that there are some power hungry dick-holes who enjoy the sense of absolute power which comes from wearing a badge.

As a side note: it's a general rule for dancers to refuse bachelor parties or other engagements held by police officers. Doesn't that say something when these girls feel less safe with the people sworn to protect them?

I realize that these kids were skateboarding where they weren't supposed to. According to the article, this was not the first time problems were had with skateboarders in this area. If you've ever been to Bathhouse row in Hot Springs, it is a small tourist town with narrow sidewalks and small shops and boutiques.

As I said before, kids will test boundaries. I'm not, however, blaming the parents in this instance. What this officer did was completely unwarranted and totally beyond the level of proper procedure.

First of all, we didn't get to see him slam the first child on the ground, but the photo in the beginning looks slightly violent to me. Then, when the group of children are standing around (saying to me that he obviously wasn't going to place them under arrest) one of them makes the comment that he has a photo of the officer assaulting the restrained minor. The officer then chases this young man down the street.

This young man was not under arrest. He was not being detained. It is clear to me that the officer wanted to confiscate the photograph the young man had. This, in itself, is an admission that not everything he did to the detained boy was kosher.

Next we see the officer hauling the handcuffed teenager down the street. He puts him in a table chair and yells at the other kids to sit down. They say no.

I would too.

Just because you're a cop does not give you absolute authority over my person. If you have not detained me, explained why you are arresting me, and read me my rights, then fuck off. Police can not just order you to sit and behave. They're not your fucking daddy. According to the ACLU, if you are not under arrest, you are free to leave. Granted, they advise strongly not to run from the police; however, seeing the way this officer manhandled the other children, I would have probably freaked out and ran as well. Everyone can talk about "keeping their cool" and acting in a certain manner, but when your neurotransmitters start pumping and your fight or flight response kicks in; well, that's another story all together.

When the girl responds "no," the enraged officer attacks her. At one point, you can see him standing in the middle with both arms crooked around two teenagers necks. Then he slams their heads into each others.

This is not appropriate police behavior!

Then he snatches the camera from the other child and tells him to stop videotaping. Again, I have to pose a question: since when is it illegal to video tape in public? I've been to Bathhouse row in Hot Springs many a times, and I've never seen any posted signs warning me not to posses or use video tapes, recorders, or other electronic devices. This child was perfectly within his rights to video tape this encounter. After which he tells the boy to get on the ground and handcuffs him. When the boy asks "why am I being arrested," the officer responds with "resisting arrest."

How the fuck can you be arrested for resisting arrest???

Not only that, but I don't remember the boy in the red shirt (the filmaker) resisting arrest. In fact, he was very polite and respectful, setting the camera down and getting on the floor. Does that seem like resisting arrest to you? After a brief pause, the officer then mentions disorderly conduct and violating a city ordinance. I suppose he realized how asinine he sounded. In Arkansas, violating a city ordinance is a Class C misdemeanor which results in a ticket/citation.

So, let us recap. You detain one child, try to chase down another for taking a photo, body check the other two, then arrest them for resisting arrest. All because they were skateboarding.

I'm sure those kids had attitude. They were teenagers. All the perfect parenting in the world can't get rid of teenage angst, it's just a stage of life. From the ages of thirteen to seventeen, you're just dying for a chance to rebel against authority, whether it be your parents, teachers, or the local bike cops. It's referred to as ego identity and role diffusion, coined by the very brilliant Erik Erikson. It happens during the period when a child is attempting to discover who they are and what they stand for, not an easy task for anyone, let alone a teenager during the awkward stage with acne and raging hormones.

On another side note, how fucked up was your life if your name was Erik Erikson? That's like being named Tommy Thompson or Jeffery Jefferson. Man, his parents were just mean to him. No wonder he ended up studying juvenile angst and disorders...

However, this officer was completely out of line. There is no excuse for his behavior. As of right now he is on "administrative leave," with full pay, I might add, while they investigate. I hope the parents of these children file a claim. I hope he gets fired. I hope they sue his ass, and the city's ass.

Fuck this bullshit.

It may seem I'm rather passionate about this issue, but I have good reason to be. About five years ago, I worked at a nightclub in the hood of Little Rock. It was pretty damn ghetto. We had riots almost nightly, gunshots, someone was killed in the parking lot next to my fucking car. It was insane. It was so bad, that we payed police officers to hang out there to keep a watch.

Wouldn't you know that our bouncers got arrested more than the customers? There would be some gang fight inside, we'd break it up and throw them out, and we would end up getting arrested for some trumped up bullshit like "disorderly conduct."

How the hell are you going to arrest a bouncer for breaking up a fight? Come on!

Regardless, I still have a lot of respect for the majority of police officers. Except when shit like this happens:




Are you fucking joking! You heard that child mention she was waiting for her mother. As a minor, it is the same as asking for a lawyer. No where did you hear the police officer say he was placing her under arrest, he just kept repeating "you're coming with me," like some trumped up version of a bad detective movie set in the twenties.

Yes, I'm talking to you, Black Dahlia.

She even went so far as to ask the officer to search her, to prove she didn't have his twenty fucking dollars. The kicker for me was at the end, when they mention that the officer was cleared of all wrong-doing.

Seriously?!?! Did they watch the tape that I just watched? Am I missing something here?

How do you, using your badge as your only source of authority, mace a child and be cleared of all wrong-doing? Especially when there's a tape available where you can review the footage and see that she did not take your twenty dollars? How is that not wrong-doing?

I only wish that the child's family could have retained better legal counsel. They could have gotten a hell of a lot more than sixty thousand dollars.

Maybe now she can get her brother out of prison.

20 comments:

Anonymous said...

Completely off topic but.. I work with a guy named Thomas Thompson, he gets called Tom Thompson or Tommy Thompson. And if that wasn't cruel enough.. his middle name is Augustine.

6th Floor blog said...

Ouch. That's the thing with people in authority. Power corrupts. There are checks and balances, but it's not always easy to use them. Like in that last case, Maybe if they could afford a better lawyer, they had a shot. The cop should have lost his job, and be in jail for assaulting a minor.

You see it all over, cops, security guards, politicians, etc. When you need one of these people to help you, you don't want to have to worry that they're worse than the guys they're helping you from.

There was a ridiculous amount of cop-corruption during the Republican National Convention in New York last year.

Seth said...

I saw that first video yesterday. It seems a bit drastic for skateboarding. What is the penalty for skateboarding anyway? A ticket? I'm sure being throat choked on the ground isn't it.

He's definitely a bad one or had a bad day. Either way I hope he gets what he deserves.

Jennifer said...

Seth, I tried to look it up earlier, and (it's rather confusing) but the penalty for a Class C misdameanor of violating a city ordinance is punishable at the maximum by a $500 fine, i think. Standard procedure is to give a citation (ticket).

Anonymous said...

ffs... i hope he gets fired and his butt kicked.

Steve said...

This is what happens when you combine a C average in high school and a fierce desire for any kind of authority. With those powers combined, you are Power Hungry Cop!

It happens more often than I would like to admit, but it's true.

Thy said...

i doubt the cop just had 'a bad day.'

erg! I hate the bad cops. isn't there a way for our system to weed them out?

Coffeypot said...

I’m sorry but I didn’t see anything wrong. We don’t know what led up to the first kid being on the ground and being hand-cuffed. But I would guess that he was running his mouth off to the officer. All the other kids were. One kid actually jumped on the officer and got his butt put down, too. The camera boy would not back off when told to do so. It escalated because the kids would not shut up and just do as they were told. An office cannot let the crowd dictate the situation. And when they react, they have to let the people know they mean business. Maybe the parents should have taught them to be a little respectful, and, if it is an ordinance that you cannot ride skateboards someplace, then I am sure it is well known by everyone through television, newspapers and school announcements. The cop was doing his job and the kids were acting like spoiled brats and punks. Good for the cop.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for posting this. That officer lost control of the situation and behaved in an unnecessarily violent manner, and as a result put young kids at risk of physical injury. He made the situation worse.

Over spring break this year my family and I went to London and met some friends (also from Dallas) there. We went to a soccer game and had an opportunity to observe the London Bobbies managing the crowd. They were so incredibly polite to everyone. Their every mannerism was to show that they were acting in the best interest of the public, and the crowd reacted accordingly. One of my friends asked "Could you see the cops in Dallas acting this way?" And we couldn't. If it were the Dallas police, or any of the urban police that I've encountered in the U.S., we would have been ordered to do what they wanted, and they would have behaved in an adversarial manner.

Let me also qualify this and say that I support the police, and on the occasions I've had to ask for help, they've been helpful. I want them to do their job. I want them to be successful. They won't be successful if they tolerate the kind of behavior the Hot Springs officer exhibited.

Thanks again Jennifer. Good to see you blogging again!

nola said...

That video is fucked up. Love the blog your just as bitter as I am... I'm adding you to my links for mine. Pretty messed up how out of control authority figures have gotten.

Eric said...

I am glad I followed the link on the old blog. The writing and the stories are just as interesting as before. So It transcends titty bars.
I added you to my links.

Anonymous said...

I'm glad the cops in my area are nice

Nik said...

I had a teacher in middle school named Alice Allison. it was her married name, still silly tho!

Great article by the way. Too bad I can't see the video(slow ass dial up.)

Anonymous said...

I agree with coffeypot, we only saw what was on video. They shouldn't have been skating there in the first place.

Jillian the Wellness Guru said...

Hey I'm a naked beer and women reader. This blog is a little too deep for me to read on my downtime. I just wanted to say that I hope the paper you wrote went well!

Seth said...

Hey Jen, please post something before the semester gets too crazy!

Life is short - go no huddle said...

That video of the girl getting maced was disgusting! I don't like the tone she took with the cop, but macing her for it? Silly me, I thought mace was used when the cop was in danger, but didn't want to escalate to using his gun. So, would he have shot her if he didn't have mace? Did he seriously feel threatened in this situation? Definitely makes me not hungry...

Great blog, BTW!

Seth said...

Come on! The semester can't be that tough! Your mom and your readers want you back!

Anonymous said...

Hi Jenn,

Just spent time reading your other blog from beginning to end and then transferred to this one.

What ever happened about the dog and the humane society?

Love the blog!
Alice

Anonymous said...

hello,

followed from your old blog which i found from barista brat. i know this is kinda late but i just wanted to comment. i'm not american but when i visited new york last year, i was robbed. when i tried to make a police report, the police were extremely unhelpful, and racist. i complained to my country's consulate and was told that this is normal. america should totally do something about the police force!

-kay.